i. Introduction + Broad Vision-Casting
Collision Works promises to be the first in a family of community accelerators that grow out of the rich ruins of rustbelt Detroit.
Among these mature remains are:
- Central city infrastructure,
- Shipping containers, and
- Strategic real estate .
b. Social Up-cycling Programs
- Public, non-profit, and private incentives for land's renovation.
c. Technological and Community Organizing
Hardware to mold them
Among other aims of Collision Works are to:
- Maximize the value creation in socio-spatial collisions;
- Capture this value in a specific site AND pass it along;
- Anchoring financial investment by eliminating the gap between use and exchange value of a
place, as understood by its stakeholders;
- Demonstrating novel, replicable ways of housing the human body and sustaining community
spirit in creativity-prizing economies.
- The line between traveler and local is blurred;
- West Side, Center-East, South Side, 5, 8, 10-mile and etc.,
Collision communities form to launch their local version.
ii. Motivating Challenges
1. What are the most strategic uses of collaboration in the site design and programming process - and when?
2. How can the design process affirm and maximize the creative capital/investment of Collision Works' core stakeholders?
3. What are the best uses and inherent limitations of modular and specifically container construction?
4. How can the design process set a stage for Serendipity and Storytelling in the eventual building?
5. How can we make it f*cking good?
Collision Works' First Container is a proof of concept installation of a typical module/unit designed for it's large Detroit Hotel Project. First Container is sited in Eastern Markets, 4 blocks away from the proposed hotel.